My skills and experience are in strategy, communications, coalition building, constituency building, convening, facilitating, and fundraising. I am able to see the big picture and understand the tactics necessary to reach long-term goals. I love to build and grow organizations, and I’m always game to learn something new and hatch a good idea.
Environmental and conservation movements
- Deep relationships with 100+ parks and land conservation organizations in the Bay Area including parks agencies at city, county, regional, state, and federal levels; land trusts; foundations; and advocacy groups.
- Helped to shape regional conversation on issues such as diversity and inclusion, land stewardship, public funding for conservation, and more through events and multi-platform communications.
- Represented organizations, constituencies, and issues through speaking engagements, conferences, and publications.
- Led teams of staff and interns based on strengths-based leadership model. Experienced with all aspects of managing teams.
- Worked with Boards of Directors and Advisory Councils including recruitment, meeting design and facilitation, and culture development.
- Built and managed relationships with senior leaders based on common goals and mutual respect.
- Maintained credibility and set stakeholders’ expectations during leadership transitions.
Communications and marketing
- Produced three films – Here and Now and Dancing in the Balance and Umunhum – that highlight partnerships between Native Americans and land conservation organizations in the Bay Area.
- Founded, launched, and grew ‘Outdoor Voice’, a long-term initiative to build and engage a large and diverse constituency for parks and conservation. Built email list to 6,000 and social following to 5,000+ from zero in 1 year using cutting edge digital communications tools.
- Created a digital communications strategy for Bay Nature Institute, Reading the Redwoods for Save the Redwoods League, digital media kits for multiple clients, 5% Day at Whole Foods Market for Bay Area Ridge Trail, and communications strategy for Youth Outside.
- Created and coordinated implementation of two communications campaigns for the designation of Cotoni-Coast Dairies National Monument for Sempervirens in December 2016; and East Bay Regional Park District’s economic impact report in March 2017.
- Experienced with developing and integrating organizational budgeting, project budgets, cash flow, fundraising plans, and grant management in order to manage a sustainable nonprofit.
- Raised millions of dollars from diverse revenue sources including members, individuals, foundations, events, and public agencies.
- Specialized in diversifying revenue sources with particular attention to unrestricted funds. Increased unrestricted revenue from 15% to 50% of annual budget. Built fundraising departments from scratch.
- Key member of workgroup tasked with nonprofit’s incorporation as a 501(c)(3). Experienced with setting up and managing governance, internal systems, bylaws, and policies in order to be audit-ready.
TOGETHER Bay Area, January 2020 – present
Started as Interim Executive Director in October 2018 as a contractor, and hired as Executive Director on staff in January 2020. togetherbayarea.org
Annie Burke Consulting, November 2016 – December 2019
Services include strategy, communications, and coalition building.
Clients include Bay Area Open Space Council, Save the Redwoods League, Bay Area Ridge Trail, Youth Outside, Bay Nature Institute, East Bay Regional Park District, Center for Nature and Health, Sempervirens Fund, Latino Outdoors, and Vizzit Places.
Bay Area Open Space Council, March 2010 – January 2017
Initially hired as Director of Development and Engagement. Promoted to Deputy Director in July 2014. openspacecouncil.org and outdoorvoice.org
Consultant, 2009 – 2010
Provided strategic planning and development services. Clients included Women’s Earth Alliance, New Foundry Ventures, and Business Council on Climate Change.
Rubicon Programs, 2004 – 2009
Initially hired to increase unrestricted revenue as Development Manager, then promoted to Director of Development. Role evolved to be more strategic, resulting in promotion to Director of Strategic Initiatives. rubiconprograms.org
Served as first Executive Director of startup nonprofit. Built Board of Directors, fundraised, delivered programs, and eventually closed the organization.
Services included grant writing and strategic planning to a variety of nonprofits in the Bay Area. Clients included Women’s Technology Cluster, Capital Incubator, and La Clinica de la Raza.
Kaiser Permanente, 1997-2000
Consultant in internal consulting group in national headquarters. Member of Organizational Development practice focused on change management, process redesign, and strategic planning.
Masters of Organization Development, University of San Francisco, 2001
BA, Psychology and Spanish, Denison University, 1996
National Outdoor Leadership School, Wyoming Wilderness 1994 and Cascades Mountaineering 1996
Park Advisory Committee, Executive Subcommittee, East Bay Regional Park District
California Landscape Stewardship Network, Working Group member
Outside Kids, Founder